Oliver James has been exclusively engaged to appoint a USA Financial Controller for a leading life (re)insurance client in Hartford.
This is a newly created position that will form part of the finance executive leadership team. Reporting directly to the CFO, the chosen candidate will manage all accounting and reporting functions for the Company including all Statutory filings, the GAAP basis financial statements, and the preparation of the quarterly and annual Board and Audit Committee presentations.
Additionally the role has oversight of Finance Leaders across Financial Reporting, General Accounting, Internal Controls, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Technical Accounting and Investment Accounting.
Given the recent growth of the company, we are encouraging candidates who are open to consulting or full time hires to apply.
- Present and oversee the preparation all quarterly and annual Statutory and GAAP financial results and ongoing accounting initiatives.
- Oversee the consolidation of the financial results for group.
- Engage with business' Leaders to analyses financial results and develop commentary for board reporting purposes
- Oversee preparation of accounting papers where necessary to explain complex transactions and propose accounting processes and relevant disclosure
- Act as Executive sponsor to the Long-Duration Targeted Improvements (LDTI) and IPO readiness workstreams from an accounting, reporting, and internal controls perspective.
- Supervise the conversion of the Investment Accounting platform to Clearwater.
- Establish and ensure execution of controls and governance processes in accordance with company and industry standards
- Ensure appropriate documenting and maintaining internal controls over for Model Audit Rule compliance.
- Oversight of Reinsurance Accounting processes, systems and controls.
- Supervise the preparation and presentation of capital and rating agency models.
- Oversee the preparation of all general expense budgeting and forecasting.
- Review and approval of the Company's expense allocation methodology.
- Lead and/or contribute to process improvement projects, ensure division compliance with company-wide strategic initiatives, and perform ad hoc analysis, as needed
Essential Job Functions
- Master's degree in Accounting, Finance or Business preferred.
- Well-qualified executive with 12+ years of experience serving as a strategic finance and accounting leader ideally in the insurance, finance or professional services industries.
- A strong exposure to both the finance and accounting sides of a life insurance business.
- Strong interpersonal relationship and communication skills, as well as a desire to collaborate, build rapport, add value and effectively problem-solve
- Proven business acumen and clear comprehension of the legal, regulatory and financial elements of the business.
- Agile and decisive; can work with an ambiguous, fast-moving environment while also leading to clarity and solutions; adapts quickly and effectively to change.
For more information or to be considered, please apply using the prompts provided. Alternatively, please send a detailed email to Chris Dodds with resumes attached.
The anticipated annual base salary range for this position, exclusive of benefits, paid time off, and incentive pay opportunity is $250,000 - $450,000. This range is an estimate and the actual base salary offered for this position will be determined based on certain factors, including the applicant's specific skill set and level of experience. In addition to base salary, there is a short term bonus and long term incentive plan.