The role is responsible for various technical accounting and control tasks related to the monthly and quarterly financial close process.
The team is responsible for the accounting processes required to produce the underwriting results of the Syndicate and Company operations including premiums, claims, reinsurance and acquisition costs. This includes the production of schedules and reconciliations associated with the close process and the operation of appropriate financial controls. The role will work closely with other functions including Reserving Actuaries, Reinsurance and other Finance functions. The role also assists with projects and initiatives to develop and enhance financial systems and processes.
- Responsible for various accounting, reconciliation, control and analysis tasks related to the monthly, quarterly and annual technical financial close process. Ensures the accurate and timely completion of the close process in accordance with the group close timetable.
- Works closely with other functions and stakeholders including actuarial, underwriting, ceded reinsurance, and IT to ensure the efficient delivery of the close process. Produce and process technical insurance journal entries for premiums, claims and acquisition costs in both the General Ledger and sub systems systems
- Maintain accounting reconciliations between source systems and the General Ledger
- Desire to develop knowledge and skills around detailed premium and claims accounting processes in order to become a subject matter expert for Lloyd's and Company Market businesses.
- Maintain accounting reconciliations to actuarial and other source data for key accounting balances including premiums and claims.
- Produce various accounting and reporting schedules related to the financial close process
- Perform and document financial controls related to the close process and ensure appropriate documentation and support is maintained.
- Review and analyse financial results to ensure accuracy of the underwriting results at an appropriate level of granularity (e.g. branch, line of business, accident year, currency). Assist in the investigation, understanding and resolution of data and accounting related issues.
- Assist the organisation's external auditors in the provision of information and explanation as required related to technical accounting balances.
- Work with the financial systems team to maintain system mapping tables and system controls.
- Actively engage in the continued enhancement and development of financial systems and processes, through incremental changes and larger business initiatives.
- Work with IT and 3rd party system vendors on system enhancements and implementations.
- Test enhancements and new functions/process related to financial systems.
- Recommend improvements and efficiencies in the financial systems and close process.
- Work with the Finance team in the head office in the provision of information and explanation related to the financial close process.
- Comply with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements and ensure, at a level appropriate to the position, that appropriate measures are in place to ensure this compliance.
- May perform additional duties as assigned
- Knowledge and experience of insurance technical accounting
- Qualified Accountant or qualified by experience
- Experience of Workday or similar general ledger system
- Knowledge of sub ledger accounting systems
- Strong organisation and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team
- Ability to communicate effectively and explain technical issues
- Ability to build relationships with other functional areas of the business
- Ability to work with large datasets in a variety of formats (Excel, SQL, Alteryx)
- Advanced Excel user skills (required)
- Appropriate knowledge of all relevant regulatory and legal requirements applicable to the position